Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I've learned a few things in the last 24 hours

       1. Edinburgh is BEAUTIFUL. I got here tired, wet and a little cold after several hours of travelling and I had to walk up a hill with my 30lbs. backpack on my back. The whole time there was only one thought in my head- this city is absolutely breathtaking!!! Unlike pretty, flat London- Edinburgh is all up or down a hill, the old part of the city is VERY old, all stone. Really made me stop in the middle of the hill and have to take it all in. The vibe of this city is totally different than London, and I think I like it much more (only been here 24 hours, give me a chance..).
       2. The hostel world- the people who live and stay here, the atmosphere, how things work, is a world I haven't had the chance to know up until now. I found out yesterday that there are people that actually live here! When I think about it- it's cheaper than rent, you don't have to sign a contract, you get to meet people from around the world, no extra bills to pay and so on.. At first it's all a little intimidating- you don't know anyone, don't know how things work. It's always the same- the first day I get somewhere I'm immediately regreting my desicion to come here, wishing I was travelling with someone so that I'd have someone to talk to.. But then I get out of my shell (it takes me a couple of hours), I realize that it's a plus to be on my own because I don't have to commit to one person, I can meet and talk to anyone I think is interesting and change my plans on a moments' notice. At dinner time last night the kitchen was packed with 20 people cooking, chopping, baking and preparing dinner and I got excited at the thought of actually cooking something. Haven't done it yet, only a matter of time. I'm in a room with 7 other girls, kind of like the army (a little nicer). I don't have a lot of space for myself, but I realize that I don't need a lot to get by. Everyone I've met is really nice and I know that in the week to come in this beautiful country things will only get better..
I took a free 4 hour tour of the city today and got really excited about all the things to do and see in the city. The sun actually came out today (very rare for this time of year, I think I brought it with me from London) and it made it really fun to walk around. Going for a pub crawl tonight- you all know I'm not a big drinker, but I'm up for trying anything. I'm even planning on having Haggis while I'm here.. I'll let you know how that works out..
For now- fantastic city, fantastic people!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic! Makes me want to be traveling and living in hostels. So fun! Miss you lots here in SF! xooxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi--Sounds like you are having a WONDERFUL adventure. Be in touch...thinking lots about you. Mom

    ReplyDelete