Sunday, November 8, 2009

A classic French day.. or at least what we all think it's supposed to be..

I've spent the last 2 days walking. The skies have been grey and unfriendly, and very cold, but walking helps fight that. I've seen so many little things that I want to share with you all. First of all, the cliches are true- the cheese shop is right next to the bakery/patisserie, right next to that is the chocolate shop, then the wine shop, then the little fruit and veggie market. This run of shops repeats itself over and over and over in this city, and every shop is full of people. Then we've got the crepe shop (I've eaten crepes for lunch for the past 2 days- sweet and savory- yummy). I've learned that this city is pretty small and you could easy walk it all in a day. I spent some time in the 6th district getting a little lost in chocolate and speciality stores, trying all sorts of yummy treats and seeking shelter from the rain.
I moved out of the couch sirfing state, left the lovely brothers who were so kind to me, and moved into a huge hostel. Not as homey as the one I stayed at in Edinburgh, but really nice and clean. I spent the day walking in the montmartre district- ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! Old cobble stones, going up to highest point in Paris (not including the Eiffel of course- I'm not going up that!). There's a square on the top with street artists selling painting of the city, or offering to draw your portrait. A lovely Italian painter wanted to draw me, and I agreed, and we ended up talking for an hour and he gave me my drawing as a gift (it's a caricature, looks nothing like me- but nice all the same). I saw some really good ice cream, but it was just too cold- but I promise to have some before I leave..
Over and over again I learn that I don't really like the huge tourist attractions (I've decided not to go into the Louvre, and I walked around and Eiffel, trying to avoid the crowds), I like walking in neighboorhoods, see where the people live and how they live.
Tomorrow is about touring Versailles (because if I don't Mom would never forgive me..), and I kind of want to walk along the seine and see where I feel like going after that. The only 2 museums I plan on seeing is the Rodin and Musee D'Orsay.
I have to admit to you guys- being in Paris solo is probably not as nice as being here with someone you really care about, which only means that next time I come here better be with a boyfriend (whoever you are..). Not to worry about that now- I'm here and I plan to make the most out of it.
I love you all for wanting to know what I'm up to and following me..

2 comments:

  1. Bon Soir Naomi! Sounds like you're finding your way around quite nicely! Your writing is getting more expressive as you make your way through Europe.

    Have a wonderful day in Versailles! I hope you have nice weather since the grounds are magnifique! Avec amour, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey girl!!
    sound like u learning how to be in the present. it's the best lesson ever & a trip is the best practise u can get. so whatever hapens keep on smiling and have fun
    love u

    ReplyDelete