Seems like it´s been forever since I´ve sat down and written something here.. so I need to say a few last words about Barcelona before I move on to Venice..
I was all ready to disregard Barcelona. Yes- I had seen some great architecture, gardens and met great people, and yet I wasn´t LOVING it there. And something happened on my last night that I felt a shift in attitude, met a few more really great locals and travelers, and started to feel comfortable with the city. I think it took me time to get over the Paris snatching, tell the story with a sigh and a smile and nothing beyond, and be able to enjoy what Barcelona had to offer.I spent the last day with a guy travelling from England, we sat on the beach (first time in this trip that I got to walk in sand..). Jake- thanks for the day, the talk, and sharing a fruit smoothie with me.. you made my last day really great..
And then I left Spain and landed in Italy..
Many of you have heard me say many many many times over the years that going to Italy is my dream. I got out of the train station inVenice and had to find my way to the hostel I was staying at, and even though I kind of got lost, was carrying a heavy backpack and was tired from travelling, I was going up and down these little bridges and looking around with amazement-- I am actually here!! Living my dream!! How fantastic!!
I´m staying at a great little hostel that is actually anold house. There is one guy who manages it, cooks, cleans and deals with everyone coming and going, works all day and does it with a smile- talking to him for 2 minutes I knew we would get along and that this is the right place for me.Lucas-- you are awesome!!
I walked the streets for 2 hours when I decided to have my first pizza- spinach and ricotta, YUMMY, followed by my first geltao, also really good. In Venice you can buy either glass, handbags or masks inspired by the Venice festival that is heldevery February..won´t find much else. I have spent 2 days walking the streets, getting lost, and taking in the beautiful sights of this rare place. It smells great here, no stinky water.. I walked around the residential area and it was so quiet and peaceful, and I really felt blessed to be there.
I have met some lovely people here, travellers and locals. I find that the Italians talk like Israelis- few words, more hand gestures, so talking to people isn´t that hard, and most of the time I understand everyone..
Next stop is Florence and I can´t wait to see it all. Because Italy is my last stop I am really taking my time, walking slower, not planning ahead at all what tomorrow is about but really living the now, just like the locals..
More to come in a few days, thanks for checking in.. I love you all!!! Naomi
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, so many beautiful bridges, buildings, museums, people and of course, the food! When you get to Florence please give our regards to David? What is so nice I think -- for everyone -- is that you are sharing your trip, good and bad, but you're also allowing us, your readers, to relive our own trips through the areas you have been traveling. Thank you Naomi!
ReplyDeleteI never got to Venice, so I read your blog with envy. How you can ever understand Italians is amazing to me. I never did, and they all talked so fast. Plus, they sold "tripe" in the outdoor markets! Reading your diary brings back some of my favorite memories. This trip will provide you many of yours, I am sure. Looking forward to your blog on Venice...
ReplyDelete