Monday, November 2, 2009

Outside Edinburgh..

I've been outside beautiful Edinburgh these last couple of days, seeing the Highlands and learning that the great scottish people invented many of the great things we have in the world today.. I went on a 3 day tour with 25 other people. It was very wet, cold most of the time, but a bonding experience for the group. On the second day we went on a "wee walk" (or "little walk"..) that was supposed to be the highlight of the whole trip, amazing views and a great was to spend the afternoon. As it turns out- it didn't stop raining the entire time we were up on this mountain, at times coming sideways with some really strong winds. I slipped and fell 3 times during the day, did not have the proper shoes on and was pretty scared at times that something bad was going to happen.
Eventually I got out of my head and told myself 2 things: 1. You ran a frickin' marathon- you can do this!!!  2. Your feet know where to go. Once I got into a better mental space things got a lot better. By the end of this "wee walk" we were completely drenched from head to toe, shivering and tired. BUT-- no broken bones, no falls, everyone came out alive and well. Out guide helped us celebrate by passing a bottle of Whiskey around the bus, and that warmed us all up very fast. All in all it was a bonding experience for us, and now I can say that I've gone on an extreme hike- completely unplanned and unprepared, but I did it all the same!!! and I'm proud!!
Now I'm back in Edinburgh for a couple more days, and I plan on simply enjoying the city and sunshine.
More to follow!! Naomi

4 comments:

  1. Naomi- The Scottich version...

    Well we're glad to know we are sharing the same weather. It hasn't stopped rainning here for the past 2 days and we all drinking whiskey and wearing skirts, which makes it much easier to pee but a bit cold on the testies (Ben's that is).
    Edinburgh sounds amazing. We are envyous that you are experiencing so much new places and people and good times.
    Scottland is one of the places I would really want to see so you have to remember it all to tell us. In other words - EASY ON THE WHISKEY!! or scotch as they say. But if you find it in your heart to bring us a small bottle of the local taste we will be very happy.
    Have fun. We are all (me, Keren and Mika) sending kisses and hugs to keep you warm and dry.
    Love u
    US

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great experience; filled with adventure, excitement, the unknown, scary times, good times, and whiskey. Hope you have more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi Shelanu--It's cold & rainy in Jerusalem...just like Edinburgh! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your Edinborough comments, reminded me of Gr Besse's and I trip there years ago. It rained also, as I recalled. LovYa SABA

    ReplyDelete